Thursday, March 6, 2014

Checking In

Happy Lent!  I'm sorry for my absence, but I did it again.  I thought I was superwoman and tried to do too many things at once, juggle too many balls, and they all came crashing down.  Something had to give, and for a while it had to be this blog.  I'm back now and will strive to get back to my regular postings.  For now, here are some things you've missed.

It's day 2 of Lent and I'm already failing.  I forgot to make our sacrifice crown of thorns, so that will be happening in the near future.

I made the kids gluten free yesterday, and I'm already regretting my decision.  I keep screaming, "It's only 40 days!  You can do it!  This is suffering!"  It's not so easy when your kids are refusing everything you offer unless it's the junk food you bought because it said it was gluten free.  *sigh*  I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, but it's a lot harder when you have to worry about what you're going to eat too.  I should've just made the kids Paleo too and then they wouldn't eat ANYTHING!  

Speaking of Paleo...here are some recent additions to my cooking repertoire.  
-Gumbo
-Crustless Broccoli Bacon Quiche
-Warm Kale Salad with Bacon, Dates, and Almonds

I made the quiche before at my in-laws, but I did it on my own this time.  The warm kale salad wasn't bad, but I've never been a salad person.  I really wanted to like it.  It was just the same taste over and over again.  I needed something to break it up.  The gumbo is being made again this weekend, which means it was a total winner.  I'm excited to have it again.

Time for some pics...
Free pancakes at Ihop for Fat Tuesday sponsored by Leukemia/Lymphoma Society.  Win/Win.  

Rory, Logan, and Marley are performing a skit about St. Jerome and the Lion tomorrow (provided Marley's feeling better).  Rory's the lion, Marley's the donkey, and Logan's St. Jerome.  That lion mask was quite the ordeal, and Rory did just about it all by herself.  I think she did a lovely job.

Well, have a good weekend.  We are touring a new school building, celebrating Nana's birthday, and having dinner guests on Sunday.  We're serving gumbo!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome Back. You were missed. Love the pic of the fam at the IHOP. It appears that Rory has the same skills as her big sister at art because that Lion face is just great! Marley Too! Thanks again. Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, very much missed. Papa called me today and mentioned it. I had given up looking at the blog. The gluten free thing is a hinderance that's for sure. Nora did say that Marley seems to be eating more on it and maybe it's her tummy not hurting from all the gluten she does eat. I don't have to do it so I am happy about that. I do need to get back full steam into eating better though. While I love the IHOP pic I look huge in it :( Poor me ... wah wah. I have lost about 12 pounds though so that's something. I need to lose about 17 more though. I am proud of you for sticking with the Paleo diet. It's been really hard but you are doing and looking GREAT. Not that you didn't look awesome before ... geezzz... :p

    Rory did a lot of work with the mask and it turned out fabulously. It really does look awesome and now that the skit is over she can use it a lot more. I got the run through rehearsal skit but wish I could have been there for the full show. I am sure it was wonderful though.

    ReplyDelete