Sunday, March 23, 2014

St. Joseph's Feast Day

I was teaching my Religion class last Friday and asked them all if they did anything special for St. Joseph's feast day last Wednesday.  They proceeded to tell me how they watched TV and had dessert after dinner, and I sat there confused.  "How does this celebrate St. Joseph's Day?" I asked.  Apparently, during Lenten Feast Days, you are allowed to have whatever you have given up because it's a "FEAST" day.  I don't know about you, but I grew up with a whole 40 days of Lent where you weren't allowed whatever you gave up AT ALL...not even this Sunday business.  Did you know that one?  You're supposedly allowed to have whatever you've given up on Sundays.  Nope, I didn't have that either.  Moving on to our feast day.

We got this idea from Amongst Lovely Things.  We are trying to pick certain saints to celebrate during the year.  We purchased fancy dishes and try to have an afternoon tea in their honor.  Unfortunately, St. Joseph is the first one we've gotten to, but I think we did a great job our first time out of the gate.  
I didn't have Joseph from our Nativity set because he's packed away.  This was the best I could do.  Our gluten free treats were Paleo 2.0 bread with Nutella and Grape jelly, crackers with cheese, blackberries, blueberries, and lemonade.  We all enjoyed ourselves.  We prayed to St. Joseph, and we prayed for daddy.  
Then we played St. Joseph's memory game, which is just like memory, but uses pictures of St. Joseph's life.
I think it was a success, and the kids seemed to enjoy themselves.  

1 comment:

  1. I heard this was a great time had by all. Rory loves using that "China" I think it's awesome that Nora did this with them. I also hope their prayers are answered ;) I guess I am rather vested in that one though. Nora is such a great mother. I know it took and takes a lot to do these things. I hope it's something the kids take with them through their lives and do with their kids. I didn't know about this business of "FEAST" days either but I wouldn't since my teaching comes from Nora's upbringing, pretty much. So whatever she did, we now do. It brings me back to hoping the kids take with them the celebration of Feast Days.

    ReplyDelete

Two for Two!

  I made it back, and it wasn't that long!  Continuing on with the pic collage of 2026.  Here we roll... January This guy's birthday...