We had the buddy system for our time at The Grand Canyon. Marley is impulsive, so we had her with Kevin. Kaelyn and Logan were together, and me and Rory. John had given the kids a talk that they had to pay attention to their surroundings, so they didn't fall. That immediately set all of us on edge. We all survived though, so that's good! Because there are so many pictures, there will be more than one post. For now, I'll just show the family pics.
This was a little hole in a rock where Uncle Jim Owens lived. He was a good friend of Teddy Roosevelt.
The sites that don't have rails were the ones that were scariest. John said that 15-20 people fall to their deaths a season, and that three had already done that since it opened May 15th. Rory and I don't like heights, and while I got better at it, Rory stayed hesitant. John kept commenting on how lucky we were. At the lodge, he got a front row spot which has never happened before. Then there was hardly anyone there, and at the end of the day we got free cookies! It was a long wonderful day. The North Rim is less commercialized than the South Rim which was wonderful. There's so much more, but it'll have to wait until the drive tomorrow. We were going to go by the Hoover Dam, but we don't know about factoring it in, so I think we're skipping it. It's off to Bakersfield, CA tomorrow by way of Las Vegas, baby! Stay tuned!










What an experience. You are a lucky family that is indeed the case. Gifted by God. I see the smiles and am jealous of you all. Have fun. Papa
ReplyDeleteWas wondering why we hadn’t heard but thought you didn’t have service. Sounds like Gran Canyon was a huge success although I don’t think I’d enjoy it with my fear of heights!
ReplyDelete