Thursday, February 20, 2020

My Last Night in this House

Kevin and I bought this house 15 years ago.  We moved in Memorial Day weekend.  Rory was just two years old.  We had just found out that I was pregnant  again.  It was a crazy time.  Tonight is my last night in this house.  
Originally there was already an offer on this house when we wanted to make an offer.  We cut our losses and started to look at other places.  Our realtor called one day and told us that if we offered more money, we could probably get the house.  We did, and we got it.  We've thought all this time that it was a mistake; It wasn't God's will; We should've waited. Looking back, I can see that this was His will for us all along.
This tiny little house grew with us and each baby.  We put up walls and took down walls.  We moved and changed rooms, painted a thousand times, redecorated, and the house changed with us, whatever we needed at the time.  Kevin and I complain that it's too small, but honestly, we could still fit fine in it now.  It might not be comfortable, but it's cozy.
I worry about the new house.  It'll be so big, anything would compared to this house.  We won't be in each other's faces all the time.  Will we grow apart with all that room?  Will we choose our own corners of the house instead of all convening in the living room together?  We'll probably have more than one living space in the next house.  
In the meantime, we'll be in an even smaller living space.  Maybe a big house will be more welcomed after whatever this experience brings.  I just know that today, I've paid more attention and been more aware of my "lasts" in this place.  I've thanked God for every one of them.  It's a little bittersweet that K'lyn isn't here to share this with us, but it's probably better.  The littles have only known this house, this place, this home.  They know and understand the enormity of this moment.  
Kevin's says he doesn't get emotionally attached to places and isn't to this house.  I think I'm attached enough for both of us.  I'll remember for him, building the room that was going to be the baby's room.  Listening to Kevin laughing hysterically while Logan slept on his chest.  The hallway to K'lyn's door when I would tell her dinner was ready or we were going to watch a show.  Swinging Rory and Logan around while singing for them to get them ready for bed.  Sneaking into Marley's room before bed to dreamfeed her, so she wouldn sleep through the night.  Playing Gin Rummy with K'lyn while the littles napped.  
It's all going with me, and luckily, I have this blog to help me remember this place.  

1 comment:

  1. It's not that I don't remember the times we've had in this house. Those are moments that will never go away no matter what. It's the house as an entity I don't care for one bit. Granted, with a bigger house comes the "possibility" of growing apart but I don't see that happening. The kids could "retire" to their rooms and stay there but they don't. They could "retire" to corners or another living space but I don't see that happening. We had one TV in this house for the majority of the time we were in it. I thinking longingly of the times we had IN the house. I wish they were in a better house. One that was built properly and didn't have so many issues, that all.

    ReplyDelete

Two for Two!

  I made it back, and it wasn't that long!  Continuing on with the pic collage of 2026.  Here we roll... January This guy's birthday...