Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Conversation

We went to PetSmart today because the cat I hate had no food. Please excuse the resentment dripping from these words. I took Logan and Rory with me because Marley was napping, and it would make the house quiet with Kevin working from home. I decided to go to Milestone because they had another store there I wanted to stop at. Here's the conversation on the way down.

Rory: Earthquakes can throw you up in the air, Logan.
Me: No, tornadoes can throw you in the air, not earthquakes. Earthquakes are the plates in the ground shifting.
Rory: Are they actual plates?
Me: No, it's dirt, but they lay together and when they move it shakes the earth.
Rory: Where in the dirt. Can you dig and get to them?
Me: Not without a digging machine.
Rory: Are they in the center of the earth?
Me: No. The center of the earth is very HOT!
Rory: Is that where volcanoes come from? Where do volcanoes come from?
Logan: Alabama
Rory: Wow! That is far away!
Me: Alabama is not far away. It's a state.
Rory: It's a southern state.
Me: A southern state is still a part of the United States of America. It's not a different part of the world.

So, there you have it. Let me just say that Logan was Johnny on the spot with his Alabama answer. As if he knew it just like that. One thing is for certain, I'm going to be reading up on all things earthquakes. I feel some home schooling coming on. My own!

2 comments:

  1. I can just see (hear) them all saying things like this. It's pretty funny to know that Alabama is the cause of all the volcano's in the world. I wouldn't have guessed it really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever the boys want to think of a place that's really far away, like as far away as they can possibly imagine, it's always California. Whereas the girls would always say Africa. Kids are so funny!

    ReplyDelete

Two for Two!

  I made it back, and it wasn't that long!  Continuing on with the pic collage of 2026.  Here we roll... January This guy's birthday...