Monday, November 12, 2012

School Times

School is going a bit slow, since I don't really do anything Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  I try to kick out math and reading NO MATTER WHAT.  That doesn't always happen.  I'm hoping once all this chemo is done, I'll get back on the wagon and reevaluate things.  I read another blog where a lady does a "what's working" post about their home schooling.  I think I need to sit down and figure that out.  Here are some things we've been doing.
These were necklaces made for our Iroquois study.  We dyed the pasta and glued aluminum to cardboard and indented the designs with a pencil.  :)

We studied artist, Louis Comfort Tiffany.  He specialized in stained glass windows.  The book suggested we paint stained glass windows.  We added black tempera paint to elmers glue.  We mixed it together and squirted out a picture.  We waited for it to dry and then mixed other colors to glue on a plate and filled in the black design.  This project was REALLY cool and turned out really cool too.  Here's what they designed.
 Can you tell that I let Marley do hers?  I struggled to just let her do it herself and not try to "fix" it.  I did end up finishing Logan's.  I think they're awesome.

This isn't really school, but Logan's in Boyscouts.  They had to make a cake about citizenship.  We were going to do a flag, but Kevin said that citizenship made him think about community.  I thought about the gingerbread people and putting them in a circle around the cake...like the edges or laying them on top of the cake in a circle.  When I came into the kitchen to see how the boys were doing with decorating, Kevin had put them standing up around the edges of the cake instead.  It looked like they were knee deep in snow because Kevin had to pile icing behind them, so they didn't fall over.  Hahahaha!  Logan won measuring spoons for "most creative."  Kevin said everyone else there had a flag on theirs.  
This doesn't really have anything to do with school.  The kids took red yarn and made their room into a "laser beam" room.  They pretended to be spies and crawled in, out, and through the lasers.  It was pretty cool.
They were playing in the creek and made fishing poles out of sticks.  I love this picture.  I wish I had gotten in closer.  Stay tuned.  I can't imagine what these school updates will look like when we're not taking so many breaks. 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. it's now 1000 EST. I've been at work for a little over 5 hours now. Fun times. My point is that Kaelyn is taking her MVA Driving Test to get her Provisional License in about 15 minutes. She is very nervous about it so please say a prayer for her.

    As for school, Nora is doing a wonderful job. She teaches them well and they are smart cookies (do you see what I did there?).

    ReplyDelete

Two for Two!

  I made it back, and it wasn't that long!  Continuing on with the pic collage of 2026.  Here we roll... January This guy's birthday...