Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Happy Birthday To Me!

It was my birthday yesterday the 16th.  Last year I did the 35 Random Acts of Kindness day, and this year I was determined to do it again.  It didn't go as planned.  

We started out the morning making cookies because three of our random acts were taking dinner to friends who just had babies.  The cookies were dessert and the meals had to all be mixed and thrown in the fridge.

We didn't get out of the house until 10a.  We went to the laundromat and filled the machines again.  The lady working there remembered us from last year.  That was nice.  :)  Next up was Safeway to get some cookies for the firemen.  While I was there I got cake pops from Starbucks for the kids.  They love them!  Then I paid for the lady in line behind me.  We headed to Nana's.  I gave her some daisies.  We took dinner to our friends, her neighbors, who just had a baby.  We grabbed some snacks at Nana's and we were off again.

We went to the dollar store to pick up some things.  We headed to the fire station, but only I went in with the cookies.  One of our deeds was bringing a friend and her family lunch, and I told her we would be there at noon.  The fire station guy asked why they were getting cookies on my birthday.  I literally said we wanted to thank them for everything they do and lit out the door.  :)

We ended up at Chick-Fil-A for lunch.  Yay!  We got some giftcards to hand out at the drive thru.  I let each kid pick which car they wanted to go up to at the drive thru.  Three of them were really grateful and one lady just kept screaming thank you as we walked off.  The car Logan picked out was a different story.

We walked up to her and said, "We're doing good deeds today, and he would like to help pay for your lunch."  I motioned to Logan who was holding a card with God bless you on it and the Chick-Fil-A card on top.  She said, "no, thank you" and started to roll up her window.  What?!  I stopped her window with my hand and said in my closed mouth you'regoingtothinkcarefullyaboutyournextmove mother voice, "No.  We are doing good deeds today.  He is giving you a giftcard to help pay for your lunch today."  She looked nervous and finally rolled the window back down and took the card saying thank you.  I didn't want to smack down in the drive thru, but I totally would have.  Logan looked so upset.

We headed to our friend's house to drop off lunch.  She happens to be on my Thirty-One team, so I gave her some catalogs too because she couldn't make it to the meeting.  She was very grateful.  

Next up was the hospital.  We got coloring books and crayons from the dollar store for kids in the hospital.  We dropped them off at the volunteer office, and that was that.  I think the kids wanted to give them to actual kids, and I did too.  That probably wouldn't be very good considering germs and such.  

At this point the kids were spastic.  We stopped by the Party Store to pick up some balloons and sugar.  It probably wasn't the best idea, but I wanted dessert, and it was my birthday.  We got 12 balloons to hand out at Safeway like we did last time.  

We stopped by the house to pick up the next dinner for a friend.  She just had a baby and loves Startbucks, so she got a coffee too.  We paid for the person behind us again and gave a huge tip.  I, also, picked up some candy and diet pepsi for my friend.  When we got to her house her husband said I was spoiling her too much, and he wasn't going to be able to keep it up.  After that we went home.  I was going to nap Marley, but she just wanted to rest instead.

It was at this point that I felt I should be getting out and doing more things.  I wasn't to 36 yet, but I was so tired.  I guess this is what it's like to be 36.  HAHAHA!  

We rested for about two hours and went to Walmart to get some things.  We decided to hand out balloons while we were there.  First of all, it was the ONLY time I've been to Walmart when it was this dead.  It was ridiculous.  Trying to find a kid in there was like trying to find another check stand open.  *snicker*  We gave a couple away.  On the way out we saw another little boy and Kevin kept saying, "excuse me" to the mom, but she kept walking.  I screamed out, "Fine then!  I don't want to try to be nice anymore!"  Kevin encouraged me to keep it up.  

We went to Damascus Safeway hoping that people there were friendlier, since that's where we went last year to do this.  It went better, but it was dead there too!  Oh, and I got mad because some dad didn't want his kid to have a balloon.  While we were in there, Kaelyn and Rory put cards on cars in the parking lot.  They wrote out about 40 cards between the two of them with warm fuzzy messages.

We went to Nana and Papa's for my birthday dinner.  I was sad that my day didn't go as well as last year.  I have a tendency to just screw the whole deal when it doesn't go the way I want.  Another *shocker*  It was a great birthday regardless!

Marley had not slept well the night before and was not having a good day.  On the way out to Chick-Fil-A she fell asleep in the car.  That NEVER happens.  We all got pictures of it, and Kaelyn and Rory photo-bombed mine.



   

2 comments:

  1. Nora does like this year on year now with the Good Deeds. It's so frapping hard you wouldn't believe it. Everyone seems to just think that we are trying to sell them something or get something from them. They act completely shocked when we say we are just doing a nice deed. It's like no one ever does nice things for other people JUST TO BE NICE! Oh wait, we live in the DC/Baltimore area. Never mind, it's still really hard! Maybe by the time Nora is old more people (like the laundry lady) will be used to it and more accepting of it? Here's praying for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Nora, You keep doing good things for people. If you convert one person a year you might give some the idea to pass it along. Not me of course...I will still think you are sitting me up for a sales job! Ha. No, I know the reason you are doing it. I hope you all the best. We love you.

    Papa

    ReplyDelete

Two for Two!

  I made it back, and it wasn't that long!  Continuing on with the pic collage of 2026.  Here we roll... January This guy's birthday...