I am NOT saying that people don't have a right to these days, but me, myself, and I have a tendency towards slothfulness. If I get on a roll, I can get pretty busy being unproductive. I notice that it starts with my little excuses, and trust me when I say, it's VERY easy to pull the cancer card out whenever I "need" it. It's kind of like drinking a Diet Pepsi. I logic myself into thinking I can have one (read: deserve one) and when that goes well, it slowly progresses into having more than one a day.
I am right with you in the thinking that sometimes taking care of myself needs to be number one. My counselor calls it the "Do No Harm" approach. If I can't get a grip at least do no harm. It's those times when I don't even try because it's "too" hard. I pull from my ledger of excuses and justify it. These are some commonly used ones...
- I should be cleaning, but I did the dishes so I'm good. I can do more. Instead I end up complaining about whatever I didn't clean later. I feel guilty because it would've be done by now. I used to do this all the time when I was in school. I would fake being sick, so I wouldn't have to do a presentation. Then the next day while I'm lying in bed watching A Wedding Story I would inevitably think how I would've been done with my presentation. And then I would dread it for another whole day. I think Kaelyn might have inherited some of this thinking. Doing hard = doing something productive
- We've had a busy day. I'll just let the kids play electronics for a half hour, so I can zone out on the computer too. I am a firm believer in no electronics for a while before bed. What's the alternative? Playing cards, Clue, Coloring, Drawing, Legos...all fine things for kids, but all things they want ME/US to do with them. And
most timessometimes I don't want to. My parents didn't play with me every night. I had a sister. Then I get the parenting guilt, and I end up playing with them. Sometimes I don't show up. Sometimes I can't show up. Sometimes it's a Do No Harm night. But when it's just me not wanting to for the sake of wanting to escape something myself...that's not cool. Doing hard = showing up - I'm not going to volunteer for Vacation Bible School because I have cancer. It's something I've thought. For real! You can change that first sentence to anything and keep the reason the same. Poor, poor me. It's easy to get down in the dumps and excuse yourself from life especially with such a great reason. In the end the guilt always wins. Doing hard = DO
I have no idea what you are talking about with this blog post! I have NEVER done anything like this in my ENTIRE life.
ReplyDeleteThe funny thing is it's right on the mark. We worry and then guilt ourselves over stuff and if we would have just done it we would have found it to be 10 times easier. I try not to but have to give myself a break every once in a while. Hopefully it gets better and better in the days to come.