Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Wednesday With Words

Another history unit is coming to an end.  This means another project, like the bridge and armor.  This list of ideas has to pertain to Jesus, so some of the ideas were; making an angel out of clay, making a poster advertising Joseph's carpentry shop, making something out of wood, etc.  I thought, "Hey!  Brian is good with wood.  We can ask HIM to do the project with the kids and then we don't have to do anything!  Score!"  Of course, Brian obliged and we got to thinking of ideas.  We settled on making a stool out of wood.  Both Rory and Logan would help to make one stool.  

A couple of days later since we didn't have to start working on it until the night before, we got a Family Fun magazine in the mail.  They have all these neat craft ideas for kids and such.  One of them was string art.  You take a piece of wood and hammer some nails into it in a picture.  Then you take string and tie it around the heads of the nails in whatever pattern or design you want.  I thought this might be a much better idea (A.K.A less of a headache), and off to A.C.Moore we went to get the materials.  
Because we can't tell Marley that she can't make one.
Logan's.  I thought this was fitting with him receiving his First Communion this year.
Rory's.  It was hard getting that string to behave.  She did a great job.  I think they're all beautiful.  And props to Kevin who said to draw the design on a piece of paper and nail it to the wood to rip off after.  This was a lot easier than the bridge and armor.  Yay!

1 comment:

  1. I was completely "shooting-from-hip" on the paper idea. I was really "relieved" when we did Logan's and it worked like I wanted. I was completely lost on the wrapping of the string. Nora was instrumental on getting them to do it, of course. I couldn't do it as I don't have the artistic gene. Brian got that one for sure. I am very proud of the kids and the work they did with the projects. They all picked out the wood, paint, painted them, nailed them, and strung them. I know it's a Father's perspective but they are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

Two for Two!

  I made it back, and it wasn't that long!  Continuing on with the pic collage of 2026.  Here we roll... January This guy's birthday...