Saturday, June 2, 2018

Grand Canyon Dos Edition

When I first called this tour company, I talked to the son of the father/son operation.  The son sounded a bit more like Ted in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.  Luckily, Jon is the dad who toured us yesterday.  He was extremely knowledgeable about the area, so we learned and visited more than just the main attraction.  He took us to places off the beaten path for the historical perspective.  Kevin loves history, so this was right up his alley.  Our homeschool lady is expecting a journal from each of the kids for our fall review, and I think what they learned and wrote down just yesterday would be enough.  
First he took us to this cowboy lodge.  It was hand built and even boasted its own outhouse, which I didn't get a picture of.  You're welcome.  I told Marley there was no need to go to Laura Ingall's house on the prairie because this was basically the same thing.  

As we entered the National Park, we saw these buffalo hanging around.  It's legal to hunt them outside the park, so John says they stay inside all the time.  He says they're smart animals.  There's a whole story about how buffalo got to the North Rim, but if you want it, you have to come here.  It's long, and I don't remember it all.  ;)  



Uncle Jim Owens was one of the first land surveyors for the North Rim.  He ran a ranching business where he bred cows and buffalo.  Cows bred with buffalo are called beefalos, and buffalo bred with cows were called cattlelos.  There is a difference.  Anyway, he chose this small rock ledge to carve out a home/cave for himself.  Teddy Roosevelt would come and visit with his Roughriders, who would sleep out in the field below the cave.  

After that it was the Grand Canyon, and some small Indian sites of the Walhalla and the Pueblo.  











John had everyone try seeds that you had to crack open first.  They were pine nuts.  He explained how the Indians put tarps below the trees and then it them to get the nuts off.  Then they gather them up and sell them to local grocery stores.  Aunt Paula LOVES pine nuts!  Logan, Kevin and Kaelyn liked them.  








I'll have to post another of just pictures of the Grand Canyon.  For now, two posts for you today!  We're all burnt to a crisp because we didn't sunscreen.  Otherwise, we're in good spirits headed to Los Banos.  This is another of Kevin's "I want to say we went there" things like Sparta and Terre Haute.  AGAIN.

2 comments:

  1. I almost feel like I’m there. You’re a good reporter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to mention photographer. Although I understand you are getting some of the pictures from Rory. It doesn’t matter who gets them on what camera they are super to me and nana thank you very very much. Papa.

    ReplyDelete

Two for Two!

  I made it back, and it wasn't that long!  Continuing on with the pic collage of 2026.  Here we roll... January This guy's birthday...