Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Logan's First Day of School

I saw some of the Today Show the other morning, and they had a 5yo reading something. It occurred to me that Rory is 6yo and not reading. I immediately panicked and thought, "Well, I can't do anything to save Rory, since she's already 6, I'll start on Logan...I have 2 more years before I've failed him." So today I got out some preschool books that I used to do with Rory every now and then and had Logan do some. He didn't mind at all. He was excited.

All in all it went pretty well. I would have him circle the two matching items out of three. Then I would have him draw a line from an item in the left column to the item in the right column the same color. Instead, he would circle the two items that went together. After a while he got the hang of drawing a line from one to the other. Then he wanted to go back to matching, so he drew a line from the one that matched to it's pair instead of circling. He's coming along though. After that we did some coloring, and because it was such a successful 45 minutes-an hour of school, we went to the pet store. Yay!

While I was schooling Logan :) Marley was being really fussy. She kept wanting up, so I would put her on my lap. Then she would whine some more and flail, so I would put her down. I finally got up with her to sway her a little, and she still whined. I put her down in the chair where I was sitting and held onto her while I walked Logan through his work. After a little bit, I noticed that she wasn't whining. I looked over at her, and she was sitting there flipping through one of Logan's books we were done with. All that time and all that little girl wanted was to do some school too. It was cute.
After we were done school, we did some reading. I picked out all the books I normally hate reading (those ones that make noise) because it takes too long for him to push the noise buttons, or I don't like to read them, and I read them all to him. One of the books was this one.
It doesn't have any words, you just look at the pictures and it has the name of the animal underneath. On some pages it goes through the sounds they make or has you count the number of animals. Anyway, we were going through it and came to the Praying Mantis.
I asked Logan what that is and he said, "Crane." For those of you who don't ruin your children by having them watch too many movies, Crane is the Praying Mantis Kung Fu warrior in the movie Kung Fu Panda. That's my boy. It's almost as funny as when I was going through this book with Rory once. She was 3yo at the time, and I asked her what this animal was.
She didn't know, so I told her it was a gecko. She pointed to the other one and said, "And this one is grandma." The kids call my dad Gekko(yes, he spells it this way) instead if grandpa, so Rory automatically assumed that the other gecko must be "Grandma."

I would say it was a great day all around. We're in for more tomorrow because for the first time newly- minted first grader, Rory, HAS HOMEWORK! We'll see how that goes. Tata for now!

1 comment:

  1. That's just awesome about Logan and Marley doing schooling at the house. They are all just as smart as they can be. I am sure Logan and Marley will be reading before 5 at this pace.

    ReplyDelete

Two for Two!

  I made it back, and it wasn't that long!  Continuing on with the pic collage of 2026.  Here we roll... January This guy's birthday...