Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My "Mother Of The Year" Award Speech

First and foremost, thank you to my family without whom none of this would be possible. I've always wondered what would clinch the award for me. Would it be assuring Kaelyn that I would stay up with her when she had the rotavirus only to sneak back to bed when she went to sleep? Would it be pulling up Logan's pants angry that he couldn't do it himself...yanking too hard and picking him up so that his body fell forward and he hit the toilet rim with his neck? Would it be wanting to get back to my workouts at the gym; therefore, diminishing my production of breast milk so that Marley actually lost weight instead of gained it at 4-6 months old? No. It was when Rory spiked a fever, and I thought it was a tooth infection. I immediately got her into the dentist and had her tooth pulled while she screamed and cried...only to find out she had strep throat. Now she can't even use a straw for her slurpee or soup to help her throat because her extraction site could dry socket...thus cementing my spot in the "Hall of Fame:Mothers of the Year." Thank you again, and I don't hope to see you next year.

2 comments:

  1. Nora, you are not standing alone in this category. Sadly, all us moms have done things we wish we could retract.

    I personally think you are a great mom, holding everyone together through the tough times. But I also understand your dismay. When someone tells me I'm a great mom, I automatically think....if they only knew about....

    Mommy guilt, ain't it grand?!

    I hope you feel better soon Rory!

    Hopefully we'll get a chance to get together sometime soon and hang out...it's been too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora's "Mother of the Year" award for the tooth pulling strep kid, while funny to blog about, is not without its explanation. Story actually goes something like this:

    Rory complained about her tooth hurting. Nora took her to the dentist. Dentist said it had to come out because it was infected. Rory spiked a fever. Nora, the dentist, and I thought it was the infection. Rory, with a very bad case of strep, gets the tooth taken out. Which, I might add, is done by a "so-called" trained dentist who should have noted said strep. The next day Rory complains about her throat hurting. I look at it and note blisters and think it's something from the tooth extraction. Nora, being a GOOD mom ignores her husband and takes sick Rory to the doctor. See this story isn't about Nora being a bad mom but a GOOD one. It's all about perspective. I know any other parent would have done the same thing she did. Kid says tooth hurts, dentist says fever is from infected tooth, kid says throat hurts, mom saves the day by ignoring husband and dentist.

    On another note, I was standing there when Logan face planted the toilet. It was funny then and is funny now. Logan didn't like it much and neither did Nora. They will learn to laugh about it one day though. I just wish I had it on tape.

    ReplyDelete

The Last Melon

  Guess what?!  The last and youngest has turned 18!  It's hard to believe.  Almost as hard as it is that she'll be leaving for coll...