Sunday, August 19, 2012

Cooking Class

Our home school group has a cooking class series starting up.  My friend said that it was really fun, so we decided to try it.  I took all three youngins.  We all met at the lady's home.  I was a bit apprehensive because of Mischief Marley, but this lady handled all of them well.  We were making Empanadas for this class.
First they measured out everything they would need to make the empanada dough.  Each kid took turns adding ingredients to make it.
Marley and E got to mix the dough by hand.  :)
They decided to make sweet and savory empanadas.  On the menu were apple ones and tomato, basil, and mozzarella ones.  She gave apples to almost everyone and had them cut the apples up into tiny chunks.  Logan and Marley got plastic knives.  They did great!
Logan and his friend, J, also got to tear up some basil.  Did you know it changes the taste depending on whether you cut it or tear it?  New things everyday, folks!
Rory and E go to blanch the tomatoes, peel the skin off, and deseed them.
The girls got commended on how well they removed the seeds and cut up the tomatoes.  Next they rolled out the dough, filled, and sealed the empanadas.
                                 
They all like the tomato, basil, and mozzarella ones best.  Go figure!  They thought they tasted like little pizzas.  I was surprised they didn't like the sweet apple ones.
I don't know what country or food is coming up next, but we had a GREAT time.  The kids are looking forward to going back!





 

1 comment:

  1. Nora just said "you still haven't commented on the blog. Just saying." Nothing bothers me more than "just saying." I know you are saying it cause you just did. Adding the "just saying" is redundant. You don't need to add the "just saying" EVER! Hehe. It's like her calling me dude! We have this thing, she calls me dude, I call her beast. Beast, as we all know, is one of the highest compliments you can pay a person. It's as if you judge people on a 1-10 scale but beast is a 20!

    ReplyDelete

Two for Two!

  I made it back, and it wasn't that long!  Continuing on with the pic collage of 2026.  Here we roll... January This guy's birthday...