Sunday, January 5, 2014

Word of the Year

Have you seen these blogs where people are picking their word for the year?  It's supposed to be ONE word that will encompass their focus for the year.  Naturally I am intrigued and am trying to pick a word.  Here are my thoughts and explanations.  Then, if you'd like, you can comment on which one you think I should go for.

1. Family

I really want to try and focus on my vocation this year.  This includes making family a priority in every way.  This entails what we eat, how we spend our time, making sure we're spending time together and so forth.  I feel like I started this way of passage late last year, and that I can pick it up full steam ahead for this coming year.

2. Present

I'm a planner.  It's no surprise.  Sometimes in my planning, I can be a week into the future rather than enjoying whatever might be going on at the moment.  For instance, sometimes while I'm snuggling with the kids before bed, I'm already thinking what I'm going to do once I get them in bed rather than loving my time with them.  It takes a lot of awareness to pull myself back to the present.  I feel like my word of the year for last year was aware.

3. Rest

I had a lot of rest over the holidays even though it took me a little bit to figure out what that was.  When we were first on break, I would tell the kids, "we have nothing to do tomorrow."  Then I would get up that morning with my to-do list which normally consisted of chores, cleaning, and errands.  I remember Logan whining, "But you said we didn't have anything to do today,"  then Kevin would tell him, "That's mommy's way of saying we don't have to be anywhere at any particular time."  I laughed it off but later it really bugged me.  It took me a couple of days, but I got over it.  Sure there were some things that I would do to make myself feel better, but I let the kids do what they wanted.  (Whispering) Sometimes I can be a little controlling.  Don't tell.  Instead of micromanaging my time and my guilt, I cut myself some slack.  Sure they've been on electronics more than my liking, but when do they ever have a chance to do that?  We have spent many nights by the fire putting puzzles together.  It has become my favorite new thing.  I didn't focus on the fact that I didn't finish deep cleaning my kitchen, or rearranging the toy shelves to fit our new treasures, and guess what?  The kids were right there putting the puzzle together with me and not on their electronics.  It was pure bliss.  PURE BLISS.  This is the rest that I think our family has been needing, deserving for years.  

So there you have them.  I suppose I could be a rule breaker and use all three words, but I like a challenge.  I'm planning on making a plaque of the word for the living room, so I can be reminded.  I'll need that a lot.  What are your thoughts?  Which word would you choose if you were me?

Happy New Year, friends.  May blessings chase you down!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know me saying that had such a profound effect on you? I hope those words can come to the forefront more in the coming year. They have always been that for both of us though. We have always been all about the family and focusing on loving them first and foremost. Not to say we shouldn't focus on that more and continue to grow. It has been nice with the fire and the puzzle. Right up until Nora finds that one piece i've been looking for and puts it in!?!?!?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I didn't say I choose X as my word of the year. I choose Family!

      Delete

Two for Two!

  I made it back, and it wasn't that long!  Continuing on with the pic collage of 2026.  Here we roll... January This guy's birthday...