We ended up wrapping candles with bamboo and then wrapping a white ribbon with a gold ribbon around that. We placed them in glass bowls and vases and put little clear glass balls (and those things that you soak in water and they fill up) in each. We finished it off with some ribbon wrapped at the bottom of each bowl/vase.
The room was U.G.L.Y. and it had no alibi. We did the best we could wrapping the poles in tulle, but it was still ugly. Then we hung more paper lanterns than I want to remember. There were only two people tall enough to hang them from the ceiling standing on a chair. We had no ladder. It was painful, but it all came together better than any of us thought it would.
We were supposed to start with Mass at 6p, but apparently there were two accidents and a broken down tractor trailer blocking guests and the priest/speaker from arriving. We started an hour late, but after that little kerfuffle, everything went off without a hitch.
Since the talk was about marriage, Fr. Leo decided to renew everyone's vows at the dinner. For some reason, this had everyone in tears. I don't know what was different about this one than the one they do every Valentine's Day at church, but there wasn't a dry eye in the joint (except for maybe the teenager wait staff). It was powerful...obviously.
It was a great night filled with fun and conversation. Kevin made a new friend who was as angry at Maryland's gun laws as Kevin. They were fast friends. And thus starts our summer vacation. That was the last thing I had to get through before I could really take a breath. Right now there's not anything looming, and that's feels great!
The only pictures I got were how the room turned out. Bummer!
I, for one and probably many, thought the room was very pretty. It was a little dark but nice nonetheless. Big thanks to Nana and Papa for running everyone around all over the place that day. They did a lot of driving and thankfully none of us were caught up in traffic. Fr. Leo did a good job at the presentation. It was a little heavy on the "buy my books" talk for me and some others I saw. The dish he prepared was ok. It's more of the personality I think than the food. There were a lot of people that came out just to see him. I had a great time being there with my wife and enjoying her time. I think that was the main point to it!!
ReplyDelete