Sunday, March 1, 2015

Bucy Food

Sunday is normally no electronics day around here.  Add an ice storm to that and "boredom" is quick to set in.  First it started with Rory wanting to make dessert.  She makes these carrots and applesauce muffins that she really likes and wanted something with lemon instead.  I looked up a recipe, and she was off to baking.  
That started Logan and Marley perusing the cookbooks we have.  Marley picked out a snack idea to make, and Logan picked out a dinner.  We happened to have drumsticks thawing in the fridge, and that's what he found a recipe for.  It was meant to be.  
Marley's snack was fairly simple, and I'm proud of her for finding something suitable to her experience. I can't remember the name of the sandwiches, but it involved mixing peanut butter with honey and spreading it on some toast.  Then you top it with shaped banana slices.  She did pretty well with it, and everyone ate it!
Logan's drumstick recipe had been made before, and we remembered the kids didn't like it.  I had made nuggets a couple nights ago with a breading on them, and all the kids ate them up.  So I switched up the recipe and had Logan make the breading mixture but bake them in the oven.  He did well dredging them in the egg and crumbs.  
Kevin added some fried rice to the menu to go with the drumsticks, and then Rory made a lemon icing to go with her lemon cake.  Did I mention it was a whole wheat cake?  Even though today was their "lent-free" day and they didn't have to eat whole foods, they still did.  I think I might get into this whole cookbook thing.  I could have them find things and make them.  It may not be whole foods, but it won't be from a box.  ;)
Here's some pics...I'm a proud momma.

1 comment:

  1. Everything was really good and not just because I am "Dad." They all did a good job of making the stuff. It was really good just getting to do it with them too. I still don't think we are caught up on the dishes though.

    ReplyDelete

Two for Two!

  I made it back, and it wasn't that long!  Continuing on with the pic collage of 2026.  Here we roll... January This guy's birthday...