Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Almost Heaven...West Virginia

It has been about five or six years since I've been to West Virginia.  I last went to my cousin's wedding.  Logan was a baby.  When I was growing up, my family went to West Virginia ALL THE TIME.  It was the norm.  It was exciting every time.  My grandma would have her ginger cookies made, and they had a candy drawer in their fridge that my sisters and I would raid.  Every summer we would all get together for a weiner roast.  I have fond memories of this, and I realized that my kids have never been to a weiner roast.  Since my sister was coming into town, I mentioned it to my mom, and she planned the whole thing...along with my uncle.

The trip took a little over two hours.  It wasn't bad.  My mom put us up in a hotel.  My kids were so excited!  Anything difference is exciting, right?  We had adjoining rooms which just added to the fun.  I'm going to roll through pics and explain on the way.  It's easier that way.  Trust me.
When we got there, it was lunchtime.  The town we were in is very small, and there aren't a lot of choices to eat.  We saw a white building that said, "Restaurant" on it, and that's where we ended up.  It was shady and smelled like smoke, definitely a hole in the wall.  We sat down and my dad said, "You should take a picture for your blog."  Look at my dad thinking of you guys.  ;)
My mom joined us for lunch.  She had been over at my grandpa's getting food ready.  I told her I had to document her presence, and she didn't want her picture taken, so here's what we ended up with.  
This is the fun water play that my uncle had set up at his house.  I had told the kids to pack their bathing suits and Marley and Logan didn't.  Luckily my sister brought extra for her boys, and they fit my two.  
Their back yard was like an amusement park.  There was so much for a kid to do!
Let the roasting begin!
My dad.
I told my grandpa that I was trying to take a selfie of us.  Kaelyn saw it and dared me to put it on the blog because I'm looking a little...scary.  Here you go, Kaelyn!
My dad and grandpa talked for a while.
I love this pic.  I don't even remember why we were laughing.
I love this pic.  I'm a sucker for any pics where one of the parties hugging has his eyes closed.  Logan was so interested in great-grandpa.  
We'll definitely be going back soon.  When I was little we would go to the Buckwheat festival every September.  I'm putting it on the calendar!  Thanks to all those who made this great time possible.

1 comment:

  1. It was a great trip. Talk about being just over the boarder. We went maybe three miles into West Virginia. Everyone there is very nice and inviting. It's a wonderful place to visit. They certainly rolled out the red carpet for us and all who went.

    ReplyDelete

Two for Two!

  I made it back, and it wasn't that long!  Continuing on with the pic collage of 2026.  Here we roll... January This guy's birthday...